Securities Fraud Attorney
Levin, Papantonio, Thomas, Mitchell, Rafferty & Proctor, P.A.
316 South Baylen Street, Suite 600
Pensacola, Florida 32502
Effectively representing victims of investment and securities fraud across the U.S.
Peter J. Mougey is recognized as one of Florida’s top 100 trial lawyers, a Florida Super Lawyer in securities litigation, and the past President of the national securities bar association PIABA (“Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association”). In addition, Mr. Mougey has also been rated AV Preeminent by his peers through Martindale-Hubbell.1 He is a shareholder with the Pensacola, Florida, law firm of Levin, Papantonio, Thomas, Mitchell, Rafferty & Proctor and is head of the Securities and Business Torts Department. Mr. Mougey concentrates his practice in the areas of financial services and securities litigation, whistleblower or qui tam litigation, as well as complex business litigation. Over the last five years, Mr. Mougey has represented approximately 50 state, municipal, and institutional investors in financial services litigation and arbitration. In addition, he has represented more than a thousand securities fraud victims in state and federal court and securities arbitrations across the country.
Mr. Mougey frequently lectures at securities and continuing legal education programs on issues confronting the securities industry including the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act, Broker-Dealer Regulation, Structured Finance, Discovery in Securities Arbitration, and Quantitative Modeling to Demonstrate the Viability of Asset Allocation Models. He was a member of FINRA’s Arbitrator Training Task Force and presented investors’ perspectives under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act to the SEC. Inaddition, he is also qualified as a public arbitrator with FINRA. Mr.Mougey is a member of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of PIABA, an international organization of attorneys dedicated to the advancement of investors' rights in the securities industry, and has served as Chairman of PIABA’s NASAA Committee and Improving Arbitration Task Force. Mr. Mougey is frequently quoted in the national press on securities matters, including The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, The Los Angeles Times, Barrons, Kiplinger, Business Week, and Investment News.
Mr. Mougey received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, majoring in Finance, from Creighton University. He earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Portland and graduated from Samford University's Cumberland School of Law.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Mougey is also active with several charities and his local community. He served as President for the Association of Retarded Citizens (“ARC”) and is Chairman of several ARC committees. He was given the ARC President's Award as Volunteer of the Year for 2006. He has also taught an economic business simulation class for an area high school on behalf of Junior Achievement, serves on the Board of Directors for his church, and was on the Cabinet for the United Way. In 2003, Mr. Mougey was selected to participate in Leadership Pensacola.
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama, 1999 J.D.
- University of Portland, 1995 M.B.A.
- Creighton University, 1991 B.A. Finance
Honors and Awards:
- President's Award Recognizing Volunteer Efforts, 2007
- Selected to Leadership Pensacola, 2003 - Present
- Junior Achievement, economics instructor, 2006 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Florida Bar Member, Trial Lawyers Section
- Alabama Bar Member, Trial Lawyers Section
- Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- President, 2013
- Board of Directors, 2006 – Present
- Annual Meeting Committee, 2003 – Present
- Arbitrator Recruitment Committee, 2005 – Present
- Discovery Abuse Committee, 2004 – Present
- Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Division, 2002 – 2004
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Securities Division
- Inns of Court, 1999 - 2002; 2006 - 2007
- Association of Retarded Citizens
- President, 2011-2012
- Board of Directors, 2004 – Present
- Vice President, 2008 – Present
- Personal Committee, 2008 – Present
- Executive Committee, 2006 – Present
- Business Advisory Committee, 2006 – 2013
- Junior Achievement, Economics Instructor, 2006 - Present
- St. Anne Church, Co-Chair, Adult Fair Formation, 2003 - 2007
- St. Anne Church Board of Directors, 2007 - Present
Free Confidential Consultation - Click here.